Make It: Ribbon Trimmed Bedskirt
Looking to give your bedroom a quick new look? We suggest that you take a trip to your favorite bedding aisle (or closet) and select a readymade bedskirt as well as yards and yards of your favorite ribbon or other trim.
I have been inspired to make one since reading about Erin Harris’s dustskirt at house on hill road. It’s so fresh and lovely! Erin’s skirt is a beautiful project if you have a good bit of fabric to use and you want big impact. Ours is a good fit for those of us who just want to get it over with with minimum effort. It took me about 1.5 hours start to finish including trips into Target and to the fabric store.
- Varies: approximately 8-10 yards of ribbon or ric rack trim (more for King and ruffled bed skirts)
- Readmade Bedskirt
- Sewing machine, needle, thread, pins, patience, blah-blah
Notes: To calculate ribbon requirements consider the measurements of your bed. Ours is a Full/Double and the bedskirt has several pleats and overlapping bits so I would advise that you measure the perimeter of the skirt for the most accurate length or overbuy ribbon to the tune of 2 yards more than you think you need.
- To embellish the skirt I recommend pinning the bottom of the ribbon to the edge of the pre-sewn hemline.
- Fold the ends of the ribbon under and stitch all around the ribbon as pictured.
- If you make a mistake in calculations or the store ran out of your ribbon (mine did) you might try stripes instead of a border at the end of the bed as I did. No biggie! If you can buy more next time you’re out and easily rip out the holding ribbon and add the new.
On the bed is a stacked coin quilt I sewed for my daughter three years ago, the pattern is from Joelle Hoverson’s book, Last Minute Patchwork + Quilted Gifts.
Bedskirt suggestions: Wrinkle-Free Bedskirt (ha, I ironed mine. It’s still wrinkled.)
Ribbon: by Cynthia Rowley (purchased this summer)
This entry was posted on Wednesday, September 12th, 2012 at 12:28 pm and is filed under Tutorials. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.
3 Responses to “Make It: Ribbon Trimmed Bedskirt”
Tutorial: Ribbon embellished bedskirt · Sewing | CraftGossip.com says:
[...] Head over to Charm Stitch to see how a simple stripe of decorative ribbon can give a plain bedskirt more personality. It’s a quick and easy project. It took her just 90 minutes to make it, and it requires only some long straight seams. Get the tute. [...]
I love the stacked quilt. You chose beautiful fabrics that work really well together.
Thanks, Beth! Embarrassed it took me so long to take a photo. My daughter has not let it out of her sight.