Briar Rose Summertime Pillowcases
Last year I sewed Marimekko pillowcases. I can’t tell you how happy I am when I bring them out of the linen closet at the start of summer. A few weeks ago I went up for Heather Ross’s Briar Rose launch party at Purl Soho and procured a fine selection of the new prints which are just perfect for the girls’ summer pillowcases. 2.5 yards of the strawberry print was enough for two, and Heather gifted me about a yard and a half of the clover/grasshopper print – enough to make one. A few shorter cuts of accompanying prints worked out exceedingly well for the side edges of the cases.
The orange polka dots are Lecian (purchased at Purl) and the green strip with yellow dots is leftover from the Marimekko cases.
Once again, I used the Film in the Fridge tutorial to make these. This fabric is directional, so you wind up using a panel 42″ height x 26″ wide, so you will need about 1.25 yards (at least 42 inches, but I managed 40 inches of Marimekko last year and made two since it is wider, overall) to make one. It’s a lot, I know. But after it’s done, these cases are an absolute treasure – and there are plenty of scraps leftover to make something else. I worked on these last week as I tried to get my sewing spirits back up. It was just the project to get me excited about the KCW challenge this week.
I’m thinking about ordering a single fitted sheet from Garnet Hill for each bed. For whatever reason the kids don’t like the flat sheets.
This entry was posted on Tuesday, July 16th, 2013 at 1:02 pm and is filed under Featured Post. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.